Licence and Genuine Reasons
In NSW, any person seeking to possess and use a firearm must be authorised by way of a licence or permit.
All persons wishing to obtain a firearms licence in NSW must have a genuine reason for obtaining the licence and must meet a range of legislative requirements relating to that genuine reason.
Licence holders are only authorised to possess and use the category of firearm for which the licence has been issued and the firearm may only be used for the purpose established as being the genuine reason for holding the firearms licence.
- FACT Sheet – Information on Obtaining a Firearms Licence in NSW (PDF)
- Quick Guide – Applying for a Firearms Licence (PDF)
The Genuine Reasons applicable to a firearms licence are listed below. Please review the requirements for the genuine reason you wish to select to ensure that you can meet all the requirements. The Licence Category and Genuine Reason Table also shows the categories of licence applicable to each genuine reason.
- Sport / Target Shooting
- Recreational Hunting / Vermin Control
- Primary Production
- Vertebrate Pest Animal Control
- Business or Employment
- Rural Occupation
- Animal Welfare
- Firearms Collection
Firearms Safety Training Courses
If you are applying for a licence for the first time you will need to complete a Firearms Safety Training Course for longarms or pistols. Refer to each genuine reason FACT Sheet for information regarding applicable courses.
If you are making an application for a firearms licence for a business, please see the FACT Sheet below and the Business Declaration form which must be completed and returned with your application.
- FACT Sheet – Instructions for Completing a P559 Business, Club or Government Agency Firearms Licence Application
- FORM – Sample Business Licence Application P559 Form
- FORM Business Declaration
Making Your Licence Application
Once you have determined the appropriate genuine reason and category of licence, you may use the link below to request your pre-printed licence application and genuine reason forms.
- FORM – Firearms Licence Application Form
- FORM – Sample Licence Application P561 Form
- FACT Sheet – Instructions for Completing a P561 Personal Firearms Licence Application
You may also obtain pre-printed licence application forms by contacting the Firearms Registry Customer Service line on 1300 362 562.
‘Sample’ forms on this site are provided for your information only and cannot be used as an application form.
For any enquiries regarding licensing related issues, please email the Firearms Registry Licensing Team: email@example.com.